AdaCore Extends Support for Wind River VxWorks Portfolio
GNAT Pro Ada and VxWorks offer 32-bit and 64-bit support on the latest Arm, Intel, and Power multi-core processors
PARIS & NEW YORK & MUNICH, Germany, June 19, 2018 – Avionics Electronics Europe Conference –AdaCore, a trusted provider of software development and verification tools, today announced the availability of its flagship GNAT Pro Ada Development Environment for the Wind River®VxWorks®7 real-time operating system (RTOS), on leading multi-core hardware platforms. GNAT Pro 18 now supports VxWorks 7 on the Arm (64-bit), Power (64-bit) and Intel (32-bit) architectures, under both Linux and Windows development environments. These releases extend GNAT Pro’s coverage of the Wind River VxWorks platforms, being added to the existing support for VxWorks 7 targets (Arm 32-bit, Power 32-bit, and Intel 64-bit), VxWorks 6 and VxWorks 653, reinforcing the companies’ longstanding strategic alliance.
“Adding support for the new VxWorks platforms continues a long history of Ada on VxWorks,” said Jamie Ayre, Commercial Director at AdaCore. “Hundreds of projects in various domains have benefitted from the close relationship between Wind River and AdaCore. Our software development and verification tools combined with the power of VxWorks allow our customers in the aerospace community – both commercial and military – to develop reliable, safe and secure applications that need to meet the most demanding standards.”
“GNAT Pro Ada’s capability to support Wind River VxWorks 7 on Arm, Intel, or Power hardware platforms will drive down both program cost and risk,” stated Chip Downing, senior director of aerospace and defense at Wind River. “Opening up 64-bit capabilities on multi-core processors will enable a vast new range of applications for our joint customers.”
GNAT Pro customers on VxWorks can choose from several specialized Ada run-time libraries based on project requirements:
- The ZFP (Zero Footprint Profile) with minimal run-time code.
- The Cert profile, which extends the ZFP with features including support for ARINC-653 APEX processes (on VxWorks 653) in Ada or mixed-language applications. The Cert profile is amenable to analysis for inclusion in systems requiring certification under standards such as DO-178B or DO-178C.
- The Ravenscar-Cert profile, which extends the Cert profile with the Ravenscar tasking subset, likewise appropriate for systems needing certification
- Full Ada, for maximal expressibility when certification is not required.
In addition to using one of the certifiable run-time libraries on VxWorks, customers can reduce certification costs by adopting one of AdaCore’s qualifiable verification tools. These include the CodePeer advanced static analysis tool for Ada, the GNATcheck coding standard checker, and the GNATcoverage code coverage analyzer. Certification material for the Cert and Ravenscar-Cert libraries, and qualification material for the qualifiable tools, are available as an option to customers with a subscription to the GNAT Pro Assurance edition.
One of the most promising developments in the avionics community is the Future Airborne Capability Environment (FACE™) initiative, which can help reduce system costs through portable components. VxWorks 653 is the first Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) product to be certified as conformant to the FACE Technical Standard’s Operating System Segment (OSS) Safety Base Profile. GNAT Pro for VxWorks 653 can thus offer users the benefits of Ada’s high reliability together with the safety-critical support and ease of rapid component integration that come from VxWorks 653 and its FACE conformance.
Founded in 1994, AdaCore supplies software development and verification tools for mission-critical, safety-critical and security-critical systems. Four flagship products highlight the company’s offerings:
- The GNAT Pro development environment for Ada, a complete toolset for designing, implementing, and managing applications that demand high reliability and maintainability,
- The CodePeer advanced static analysis tool, an automatic Ada code reviewer and validator that can detect and eliminate errors both during development and retrospectively on existing software,
- The SPARK Pro verification environment, a toolset based on formal methods and oriented toward high-assurance systems, and
- The QGen model-based development tool suite for safety-critical control systems, providing a qualifiable and customizable code generator and static verifier for Simulink®and Stateflow®models, and a model-level debugger.
Over the years customers have used AdaCore products to field and maintain a wide range of critical applications in domains such as commercial avionics, automotive, railway, space, military systems, air traffic management/control, medical devices and financial services. AdaCore has an extensive and growing worldwide customer base; see www.adacore.com/industries/ for further information.
AdaCore products are open source and come with expert online support provided by the developers themselves. The company has North American headquarters in New York and European headquarters in Paris. www.adacore.com/
AdaCore Marketing Operations Manager
AdaCore Public Relations Representative
+33 1 49 70 87 82