AdaCore Extends Support for Wind River VxWorks
AdaCore committed to long-term Ada, C, and C++ support on industry-leading RTOS
PARIS & NEW YORK & MUNICH, March 12, 2019 – Avionics Electronics Europe Conference – AdaCore, a trusted provider of software development and verification tools, today announced the roadmap of its flagship GNAT Pro Ada Development Environment for the latest version of the Wind River® VxWorks® real-time operating system (RTOS), with immediate support for the ARM 64-bit processor. Additional platforms (32 and 64-bit PowerPC, 32-bit ARM, 32 and 64-bit Intel) will follow in the coming months. GNAT Pro customers using previous VxWorks releases can continue to do so, with an easy upgrade path to the latest release. AdaCore’s GNAT Pro C Development Environment is on the same schedule as GNAT Pro Ada, and GNAT Pro C++ for the latest VxWorks release is planned for early 2020.
“We want to create a seamless development journey for system designers bringing new-generation avionics systems to market. In working with AdaCore, Wind River is able to bring an extended solution for our avionics customers on our latest technologies and supported architectures,” said Ray Petty, Vice President, Aerospace & Defense, Wind River. “Together with AdaCore, we are enabling development environments that ensure successful deployment of safe and secure airborne systems.”
“Adding support for the latest release of VxWorks provides a continuous path for our avionics customers on VxWorks,” said Jamie Ayre, Commercial Director at AdaCore. “Our close relationship with Wind River on software development and verification tools, combined with the power of VxWorks, allow our customers in the aerospace community – both commercial and military – to develop reliable, safe and secure applications that need to meet the most demanding standards.”
Avionics customers on VxWorks 653 can choose from several specialized Ada run-time libraries based on project requirements:
- The ZFP (Zero Footprint Profile) with minimal run-time code.
- The Cert profile, which extends the ZFP with features including support for ARINC-653 APEX processes in Ada or mixed-language applications. The Cert profile is amenable to analysis for inclusion in systems requiring certification under standards such as DO-178B or DO-178C.
- The Ravenscar-Cert profile, which extends the ZFP with features including the Ravenscar tasking subset, likewise appropriate for systems needing certification
A full Ada run-time library is available for maximal expressibility, when certification is not required. This library is supported on VxWorks 653 and VxWorks 7.
In addition to using one of the certifiable run-time libraries on VxWorks 653, customers can reduce certification costs by adopting one of AdaCore’s qualifiable verification tools. These include the CodePeer advanced static analysis tool for Ada, the GNATcheck coding standard checker, and the GNATcoverage code coverage analyzer. Certification material for the Cert and Ravenscar-Cert libraries and qualification material for the qualifiable tools are available as an option to customers with a subscription to the GNAT Pro Assurance edition.
Founded in 1994, AdaCore supplies software development and verification tools for mission-critical, safety-critical and security-critical systems. Four flagship products highlight the company’s offerings:
- The GNAT Pro development environment for Ada, a complete toolset for designing, implementing, and managing applications that demand high reliability and maintainability,
- The CodePeer advanced static analysis tool, an automatic Ada code reviewer and validator that can detect and eliminate errors both during development and retrospectively on existing software,
- The SPARK Pro verification environment, a toolset based on formal methods and oriented toward high-assurance systems, and
- The QGen model-based development tool suite for safety-critical control systems, providing a qualifiable and customizable code generator and static verifier for Simulink® and Stateflow® models, and a model-level debugger.
Over the years customers have used AdaCore products to field and maintain a wide range of critical applications in domains such as commercial avionics, automotive, railway, space, military systems, air traffic management/control, medical devices, and financial services. AdaCore has an extensive and growing worldwide customer base; see www.adacore.com/industries/ for further information.
AdaCore products are open source and come with expert online support provided by the developers themselves. The company has North American headquarters in New York and European headquarters in Paris. www.adacore.com/
AdaCore Public Relations Representative
AdaCore Marketing Specialist
+33 1 49 70 87 93